When part timers go out of town for the summer, and they don’t have someone checking on their home regularly, they can return to a home filled with mold. If the air conditioning malfunctions, or the washer or sink have a leak, you could return to a home filled with mold. Don’t call me. Mold is not something you should call a cleaning company to clean up. Mold is bad, you can’t wash it away with bleach and if you see mold, call a plumber first, then call a mold remediation company.
Mold occurs when water is leaking. If your shower pan was not sealed properly, if the upstairs bathroom is leaking, if the air conditioner is not vented properly. There ae a number os reasons why you can get mold in your home, mobile home or condo and they all relate back to moisture.
The EPA site had these Ten Things You Should Know About Mold:
- “Potential health effects and symptoms associated with mold exposures include allergic reactions, asthma and other respiratory complaints.
- There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment; the way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture.
- If mold is a problem in your home or school, you must clean up the mold and eliminate sources of moisture.
- Fix the source of the water problem or leak to prevent mold growth.
- Reduce indoor humidity (to 30-60%) to decrease mold growth by:
- Venting bathrooms, dryers and other moisture-generating sources to the outside
- Using air conditioners and de-humidifiers
- Increasing ventilation
- Using exhaust fans whenever cooking, dishwashing and cleaning
- Clean and dry any damp or wet building materials and furnishings within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
- Clean mold off hard surfaces with water and detergent, and dry completely. Absorbent materials such as ceiling tiles, that are moldy, may need to be replaced.
- Prevent condensation: Reduce the potential for condensation on cold surfaces (i.e., windows, piping, exterior walls, roof, or floors) by adding insulation.
- In areas where there is a perpetual moisture problem, do not install carpeting (i.e., by drinking fountains, by classroom sinks, or on concrete floors with leaks or frequent condensation).
- Molds can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually any substance, providing moisture is present. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods.”
If you are only here in Vero Beach part time, hire Riverside Cleaning Services to check on your home and to clean and dust at least once per month while you are gone. Checking on the home weekly, and cleaning twice a month is the best thing to do. Homes can cost from the $200,000’s on up to several million dollars and they are a significant investment. Penny wise is pound foolish. So, spend a few dollars each month to protect your investment while you are out of the area.